Now many of you will be very observant to note that I have tagged few big issues in that first paragraph. Yes, that is the problem.. or the focus of my attention for a short number of days (what, he's mad, setting up something in a short number of days).
So where do you start ?
My new company I am working for primarily exists to raise funds for charities, technically we are not non-for-profit, because it is not 100% of profit which goes to the charities, but let's just say it is more that 40%.
So .. costs are critical, we need to keep them fairly low, and software development certainly sits at the high end of draining resource (money).
Of course being a major supporter, user and contributor of Open Source, it will sit majorly within the realms of my new job.
At a brief glance, these are the items for which I either (a) know intricately and will bring to the table, or (b) know I need to look at them.
So lets start shall we, here is a quick run down of items I will either be using, or will investigate ..
Build and Development
- Eclipse - (for many years now)
- Maven 2 - Without a doubt
- Subversion - goes without saying
- Continuum - (CI - Continuous Integration) - Would love to use Bamboo (atlassian)
- Buildix (ThoughtWorks Out-of-the-Box of all the above)
- Tracs (it's in the Buildix platform)
- Artifactory for Maven - Definitely a Winner here
- Checkstyle via Maven
- Maven Site Build (customise it)
- Spring (Security, JDBCTemplate)
- Maven Dependency Graphs http://philhoser.blogspot.com/2007/01/dependency-graph-for-maven-2.html
I'll keep you all updated on this as I grow this area.
There are a few things I am missing there, but I'll keep you all posted on that front.
Oh, one last thing I do want to add it, when the team becomes >=2 developers.
and that is hooked up to the CI .. build notification.
A lot can be said on this topic. Here is a place for it.
I have seen a whacky lamp at a lighting shop in Balgowlah, hideous. $100 or so .. and it would be great to "turn" it on, when it all goes bad. It's a foul looking angel on the back of a dragon. Perhaps the ubiquitous (sp?) lava lamp will do.
I will post the steps I take in the next few postings to detail what I setup. But It wont be for a few more posting yet because I am still with my current (and fantastic employer) so need to be honourable there.